Coloured contact lenses are now available in a wide range of colours to create an amazing range of colour changes - from changing your eye colour completely to enhancing the existing colour of your eyes. There are even novelty lenses to change your eyes into an alien or a wolf - great for Halloween or a fancy dress party!
Many of these coloured contact lenses are available in `no power` form (without visual correction), for those people who have perfect eyesight but want to change their eye colour to suit the occasion, as well as a wide range of prescription lenses.
All coloured contact lenses come in a comfortable soft lens material and you can even get daily coloured lenses - no solution, no fuss - you just wear them for the day and throw them away!
Most standard (non coloured) contact lenses come with a ` visibility tint`, which is usually a light blue or green tint added to a lens, solely to help you see it better during insertion and removal — or if you drop it. Since it`s a very light tint, it does not affect eye colour, or your perception of the world at all.
Coloured contact lenses have been designed to mimic the natural iris pattern, by using a multitude of coloured dots on the contact lens which makes it more natural. The centre part of the lens, covering the pupil, is left clear on purpose so that it does not affect how you see.
The pattern and intensity of the dots governs the appearance of the lenses on your eye.
A good example of a lens that can alter the colour of a lighter coloured eye, or enhance the colour of a darker eye is Freshlook Colorblends, which use a combination of three iris patterns to create the overall effect. This lens is by far our most popular coloured lens and you can see how other customers rate this lens in Freslook Colorblends Reviews.
Freshlook Dimensions and Expression Accents are great coloured lenses for enhancing or changing light eye colours for a beautiful natural look. Tip: these lenses tend not to make any difference to naturally dark eyes.
Whichever coloured lenses you choose, have fun!
Things to Consider Before Buying Coloured Lenses:
- What colour eyes do I want?
- Does the lens description online sound like what I want?
- How natural will the lens/lens colour look against my skin and hair colour?
- The images on the website are provided by the manufacturers, therefore will not necessarily look like that on a natural eye and in natural conditions.
- Read the reviews on each lens from other coloured lens wearers. Read the lens description and decide whether it sounds like what you want.
- Coloured lenses are bigger in diameter then most standard non-coloured lenses, this is to ensure the entire natural eye colour part is covered by the coloured section of your lens. You may experience some blurred vision when you first try your lenses, this is because once your pupil dilates (gets bigger, generally in darker conditions) the coloured section of the lens will interfere with your vision. Most wearers can persevere with this and continue to wear the lenses without any difficulties.
- Sharing Contacts: A Bad Idea!
Sharing contact lenses with your friends can transfer bacteria which can cause severe eye infections. If coloured lenses are not going to be worn daily, it is usually safe if you store them in contact lens storage solution, but change the solution 2 -3 times per week, so that it stays fresh and carries on disinfecting your lenses. If you simply leave your lenses in stale solution for an extended period of time they will become heavily infected with bacteria (or even mouldy) and be unsafe to wear.